Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Peekamoose Mountain, February 17, 2013, Slide Mountain Wilderness, Catskill Park

View to the south, from 3500 elevation sign
With a name like "Peekamoose," how hard can it be? This simple phrase summed up my thought process before a recent, last minute solo outing in the Catskills. In the winter, I find it wise to avoid long, steep, above-treeline treks when going out alone. Better safe than sorry. Peekamoose fit the bill nicely as the summit is a viewless spot under low cover offering protection from the elements. Furthermore, the trail itself - only 7 miles up and back - is known for long level sections in between climbs. Seemed easy enough on paper and perfect for snowshoes.

With the unwelcome addition of frigid temps, deep snow drifts, and screaming winds, however, Peekamoose turned out to be a little more than I expected.

Initial ascent
I was happy to find the parking area for Peekamoose-Table Mountain trailhead to be well-cleared and empty and managed to hit the trail at 7:20 AM. I found easy walking on the initial ascent as there was little snow or ice in the lower elevations. At Reconnoiter Rock, I had the chance to test out a new pair of snowshoes and wore them the rest of the way. The only views of the day came just past the sign marking 3500 feet elevation where a ledge opens to the south. The high winds, however, prevented me from enjoying it for more than a few seconds.

At the summit - marked by a big boulder - I took a quick break in order to don another pair of wool pants and change into dry socks. I briefly thought about pressing on to Table Mountain, but quickly decided against it. The real feel temperature had to be around 0. After a few energy shakes (which I managed to keep from freezing) I headed back down. Arrived at the parking lot at 11:30 AM.

Frozen face
All in all, it turned out to be a good day in the woods. The howling winds and creaking trees, however, gave the day an aura of eeriness.

As a 3,500 foot mountain, Peekamoose falls on the "Catskill 3500" list - a goal-oriented hiking list similar to the White Mountain 4,000 footers and the Adirondack 46ers.

Chalk off my first.

Peak: Peekamoose Mountain
Elevation: 3,843 feet (Gain: 2,343)
Distance: 7 miles, up and back
Conditions: Clear, 17 degrees F, high winds, gusts 45 MPH