Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Giant Mountain, August 10, 2013, Giant Mountain Wilderness, Adirondack Park

In the AM clouds on Giant Mountain Summit
I made quick work of Giant of the Valley, the original name for one of the first 4,000 footers that one encounters when driving into the High Peaks via the Keene Valley exit off of the Northway. Being a Saturday in August, I figured that I needed to get to the summit pretty early to have any hopes of an isolated peak experience. Thus, I pulled into the parking area for the Roaring Brook Trail at 5:50 AM, laced up my boots, and was on my way at 6 AM sharp.

Lost in my thoughts, it felt was as if I suddenly found myself transported to the summit. My watch read 8 AM; I had made it in a brisk two hours flat with little more than a five minute break. I threw down my pack, pulled out my ibex wool sweater, and sat down for a much-needed break. Though an absolutely beautiful summer day down below, there was a brisk wind, cold temperatures, and quickly-moving clouds swirling at the top. As I had hoped, the summit was devoid of people at that early hour.
Final Push to the Giant Mountain Summit; Peak in Distance
The temperature and strong wind didn't allow for a long, relaxing rest, so I spent only fifteen minutes on the top before deciding to head back down. I opted for a loop descent, taking the Ridge Trail and then turning west just before the Giant's Washbowl, crossing Giant's Nubble, and finally reconnecting to the Roaring Brook Trail. All in all, it made for a very pleasant loop and a much better experience than a simple up and back. The only downside was the expected traffic jam of folks heading up the ridge trail as I descended... I lost count at 30. Saturday in August.
Giant's Washbowl
Arriving back to a packed parking lot at 10:30 with overflow parking lining the highway, I immediately began to feel the results of the rapidly-paced hike and my decision not to do a shorter warm-up hike the day before - as is the usual routine before tackling a 4,000 footer. The aches and pains stayed with me for days.

Peak: Giant Mountain
Elevation: 4,627 feet (Gain: 3,375)
Distance: Partial loop, 8 miles roundtrip
Conditions: Sunny, 70 degrees F, windy