Thursday, November 5, 2015

Gilmore Peak and Sargent Mountain, October 15, 2014, Acadia National Park


Sargent Mountain Summit Marker
Six trails in Acadia are designated as "ladder trails," named for the iron rungs that a hiker must negotiate along the way. My research on one of these trails - the Giant Slide Trail - found that it ranks among the least-traveled trails in Acadia. That's what I'm talking about.

Lichen forest
I used the Giant Slide Trail as the stem of a lollipop-shaped hike up the summits of Gilmour Peak and Sargent Mountain. Sure enough, I was the first car at the roadside pull off for the trail head. After meandering through an awesome patch of lichen-encrusted rocks, the trail crosses a carriage road and then enters into the so-called "Giant Slide." There are no iron ladders... I guess they just call it a ladder trail because that's the designation for the toughest trails in the park.

Over the boulders and through the caves on Giant Slide Trail
Further, there's not really any trail. The blazes just go up and over boulders, through the stream bed, around exposed tree roots, and underneath rock formations. I quickly stowed the hiking poles. No need for them when you need all fours for the constant boulder scrambles. The trail is strenuous, to be certain, but nothing unlike what one encounters in the White Mountains. All in all, it was a pretty cool trail. Once through the slide, I took the Grandgent Trail up and over Gilmore Peak and then pressed on to the summit of Sargent Mountain, the second highest point in Acadia.

Gilmore Peak summit sign
Sargent is a neat peak, with the same treeless summit and sweeping views characteristic of the other mountains at Acadia. The lack of an auto road to the summit, however, made for much more seclusion than Cadillac Mountain. For the return, I took Sargent Northwest Trail. Just as I was reconnecting with the Giant Slide Trail I encountered the only other hikers of the morning. We chatted for a bit and then I tackled the slide once again.

The return was as interesting as the ascent. I'd definitely visit the Giant Slide again.

Peak: Gilmore Peak and Sargent Mountain
Elevation: 1,030 feet and 1,379 feet
Distance: 4.3 miles
Route: Lollipop: Giant Slide Trail to Grandgent Trail to Sargent Northwest Trail
Conditions: Sunny, 50 degrees F