Friday, October 23, 2015

Mount Chocorua, October 8, 2015, Sandwich Range, White Mountain National Forest

Chocorua's symmetrical summit cone, up close
Chocorua is one of the most easily-identifiable peaks in the White Mountains. On a beautiful, windless October weekday, K and I made a quick run up Mount Willard in order to eat lunch on the ledges and admire the great view into Crawford Notch. The late arrival of peak foliage this season meant that we didn't have any solitude (one never does atop Willard)  but the view is still the same. And at the center of that view, way off on the far horizon, is the perfectly-pointed cone-shaped peak that is Chocorua. They say that its symmetrical shape once made Chocorua the most photographed mountain in the world. Looking at it from afar reaffirmed a long-held curiosity about this popular peak and I wondered why I had never explored it. I resolved to check out the summit on the following day.

Slippery Roots on the Lower Champney Falls Trail
I usually try to take the lesser-traveled trails to the popular peaks. In this case, however, I had no choice but to take the popular Champney Falls route since it was the nearest to where we were staying in Sugar Hill. At one hour door to door to Champney, I didn't want to add any more time to my early AM drive to the trail. But I resolved to get out early and be the first to the summit. I made it to the parking area at 7 AM sharp. First car in the lot. Again.

The Falls
I quickly learned why Champney Falls trail is to popular. It has to be one of the easiest trails to pay such big dividends in the view department. Don't get me wrong. It's a long uphill climb covering nearly 2,300 feet in elevation gain. But it has a comfortable grade with multiple switchbacks and few boulder scrambles. The side route to the falls is well worthwhile since it reconnects with the main trail without having to backtrack. But the price of a look at the falls on the way up is a precipitously steep set of stone stairs. I hit the falls on my return instead.

The view to the Northwest from Chocorua summit
A peak with great summit views and a comparatively easy approach means LOTS of pressure. Sadly, I saw more cigarette butts long this trail than in all my visits to New Hampshire combined. Fortunately, however, the early hour meant that I made it all the way to the summit without encountering a single person. The top of Chocorua can be a bit confusing since the Champney Falls trail doesn't go to the summit. I followed the signs for the Piper Trail, which winds its way out of the tree line and then across the open summit ledges. Although the blazes were quite faded, it was fairly easy to find the hand-over-hand climb up and around to the marker on the summit. Although the sky was clear, strong winds and cold temps prevented too much relaxation up top. I had cold weather gear and donned it in order to spend some time admiring the spectacular views.

Just as I was leaving, the first of the day's hikers showed up. All were pack-less and wearing shorts and t-shirts. 

To each his own. At least they were not tossing cig butts.

Peak: Chocorua
Elevation: 3,500 feet (Gain: 2,250 feet)
Distance: 7.6 miles round trip
Route: Up and back, Champney Falls Trail to Piper Trail
Conditions: Full sun, 35 degrees F, gusty winds