Saturday, August 20, 2016

Algonquin and Wright Peak, August 15, 2016, MacIntyre Range, Adirondack Park

Summit Approach, Algonquin
They say that Algonquin, the second highest peak in New York State, has one of the best views in the Adirondacks. That might well be the case. But I didn't see squat. That's what happens when an early morning hike takes you into the clouds.

The Waterfall en route to Algonquin
The forecast actually encouraged me to choose to hike Algonquin. I knew that it is one of the park's most popular peaks - especially in August. With little chance of a view from the top, I thought, many hikers might well stay away. I made a 6 AM start from Heart Lake and reached the summit by 9 AM. For about the last hour and a half, I found myself on the heels of a single hiker. Not wanting to pass him, I decided to take a few extra breaks along the way - including a nice long one at the towering waterfall at mile 2.6.

Summit Survey Marker on Algonguin
Eventually, I had a chance to meet the mysterious early-morning hiker at the top - A fifty-something man from Montreal who got up a 3 AM in order to drive to the trail head by dawn. With no views to speak of, we chatted for a few minutes about the benefits of early morning departures before a summit steward arrived. Must be nice when the ADK High Peaks are your office.

At the Cloud Line on Shoulder of Wright Peak
Heading back down from Algonquin, I decided that I'd make a quick run up Wright Peak to see if the lower elevation summit happened to be below the cloud cover. I was hoping for at least a partial view back to my starting point at Heart Lake. Although Wright's summit was also in the clouds, I did manage to get one nice view while ascending. After another longish break on the summit, I headed back to the Loj.

Along the way, I counted well over 100 hikers ascended Algonquin. At least one in five asked me if there were any views from the top.

Peaks: Algonquin and Wright Peak
Elevation: 5,114 feet and 4,580 feet (Gain: 3,470 feet)
Distance: 9.4 miles round trip
Route: Van Hoevenberg Trail from Heart Lake to Algonquin Trail to Algonquin summit, spur trail to Wright Peak
Conditions: Cloudy to Partly Cloudy, 80 degrees F