Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Mount Lincoln and Mount Lafayette, August 21, 2014, Franconia Range, White Mountain National Forest

Waterfall on the Falling Waters Trail, thus the name
In all these years of traveling to the Whites, I have always been awed (like thousands of others) with the Franconia Range. Lafayette is the biggest, most prominent peak in the range, and I was looking forward to getting to the top after long admiring it from afar. K and I had plans the previous year for an overnight stay at Greenleaf Hut, just below the summit, which would then serve as the base for the short climb to the summit. However, the unpredictable early Spring weather (snow on Memorial Day) bagged that idea. A year later, with a good weather forecast and potential for t-storms the following day, I decided that the time was finally right.

View to Mount Lafayette from Mt. Lincoln Summit
Starting out at 6:45 AM, I opted for a long loop hike up the Falling Waters Trail, which proved an excellent choice as the trail travels alongside and underneath a series of picturesque cascades. Though not nearly as steep as some other trails, Falling Waters is a steady, rocky climb as it gains elevation via a series of switchbacks. Despite the comparative ease, I took more than my usual number of breaks. My brother had recently lost his trusty Brittany, Dilsey, a great little dog who tackled a number of 4,000 footers herself. A little trailside memorial shrine on the shoulder of Mt. Lincoln seemed appropriate.

Trail Shrine to Dilsey
After a brief rest at the Mt. Lincoln summit, which of course commands excellent views in all directions, I pressed on along the rocky Franconia Ridge trail to Mount Lafayette. The day was so perfect - cool, little wind, and long views -- that I opted for a longer stay at the top of Lafayette. There, I encountered three Appalachian Trail thru hikers who arrived one after another at the summit and threw off their loaded packs to rest and catch up with one another. I talked to them for a bit about their forthcoming route through the Whites, having been on much of this section of the AT myself. Before parting, I offered up some of my remaining foodstuffs -- clif shots, power bars, and even a left-over protein shake. They graciously accepted.

Descending from Lafayette Summit, Greenleaf Hut in Distance
Gotta spread the Trail Magic.

After bidding farewell, I started my descent and finally had a chance to visit Greenleaf Hut, one of the most exposed of the high huts. I could see how the ridge would be no place to travel in poor weather. I stopped in to refill my water bottles and then hopped down the Old Bridle Path, passing a number of people sweating over "Agony Ridge" on their way up.

Back at the parking area, I realized that Lafayette marked my 37th 4,000 footer.

Hard to believe that there are only 10 to go.

Peaks: Mount Lincoln and Mount Lafayette
Elevation: 5,089 and 5,260 feet  (Gain: 3,900 feet)
Distance: 8.9 miles
Route: Loop, Falling Waters Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail to Greenleaf Trail to Old Bridle Path
Conditions: Pleasant and clear