Sunday, June 26, 2022

Mount Colvin and Blake Peak, June 20, 2022, Eastern High Peaks, Adirondack Park

The Great Range, view from Mount Colvin

When a mid-June cold front brought plummeting temperatures and moderately high winds to the High Peaks, I figured that the conditions warranted the hike to Colvin and Blake. The highs were going to be in the mid 30s to 40s up top - perfect hiking temperatures - with zero chance of rain and sunny skies. And since Colvin and Blake are among the lower elevation 46ers, nestled between the Great Range to the north and the Nippletop massif to the south, I figured the moderately stronger winds would be less of an irritation there than trying to do something higher. Fortunately, I had made a Sunday morning online reservation well in advance on the off chance that I'd want to start a hike from the AMR that day. I understand the concept of the new reservation system, believe me I do, but it is kind of a pain to have to plan 2 weeks in advance. As an early a.m. hiker, I personally prefer the good old days of first come, first serve at the AMR. Early bird gets the worm.

View to Blake Peak from Colvin Shoulder

People seem to really hate this hike. Trip reports and online chatter don't rate it too highly. This was confirmed on the trail when I spoke with a few hiking parties that had disgusted, pained looks on their faces and openly lamented that they "just wanted to get this one over with." I don't like to disparage any hikes. They all have some redeeming features. This one had great bird habitats and one nice vista, but I suppose that I do agree that the trail itself was somewhat unremarkable, especially the difficult slog down and up to Blake and back. I liked the secluded, wooded hollow between Blake and Colvin. Out of the wind and with a long, fallen log for seating, it offered a peaceful and comfortable lunch spot. But I suppose when a col between two peaks is the most memorable point, that does say something.

Rickety Old Ladders Being Replace on Colvin

Although it was a Sunday, there were not too many people on the trail to Colvin and Blake. Maybe the reservation system was the reason, or perhaps the cold, rainy weather the day before caused people to cancel their weekend plans at the last minute. I didn't encounter anyone until the cut off to Elk Pass. He was a fast-moving, gregarious hiker who had left from the AMR Lake Road gate just ahead of me by 5 minutes (I knew this from recalling his name on the trail register when I signed in). I suppose that I had beaten him to this point by my choice to take the Gil Brook cutoff, a shortcut to avoid to more rugged Gil Brook Trail. He was quite friendly and we chatted for a few minutes, commenting that we might see one another again on our respective descents, or when catching a post-hike swim in one of Gil Brook's picturesque pools. He then set off towards Dial and Nippletop, and I headed onwards and upwards to Colvin. 

Due to the high winds, I just spent a few minutes on Colvin's summit to catch a quick view to the Great Range and back down to Lower Ausable Lake. I then pressed on to Blake. Not doubt about it. It is a long, plodding, ho-hum slog to get there, with a steep, ladder-strewn descent from Colvin and then up to Blake. There aren't many good views along the way or exciting natural features. Just a tough, rock- strewn classic Adirondack trail. 

A Rare Quiet Moment on the Lake Road

The worst part of the hike, I suppose, was the 2.5 mile return to the parking area on Lake Road. On a weekday, I don't mind the road at all, In fact, I kind of like a long, gradual descent with steady footing to conclude a rugged, higher-mileage hike. But on a  sunny Sunday afternoon, I had to constantly keep an eye and ear on the road for more motor traffic than I have ever seen on that road after all these years of hiking it. What I assumed were AMR members in their Cadillacs, BMWSs  and Audis kept me company pretty much the whole way down to the gate. A real bummer... but I suppose it is their property, after all.

Peak: Mount Colvin and Blake Peak
Elevation: 4,057 feet and 3,960 feet (Total Gain: 4,000 feet)
Distance: 14.6 miles roundtrip
Route: Out and Back: Lake Road to Gill Brook Cut-off to Mt. Colvin Trail to Colvin summit; out and back to Blake Peak.
Conditions: Sunny, 25-30 mph winds, 40 degrees F