Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Street and Nye, Eastern High Peaks, Adirondack Park, September 1, 2020

Mossy Forest on Summit of Street

Sometimes, I don't get Adirondack hikers. Tons of trip reports call Street and Nye a "good, bad weather hike." But the same writers also complain about the mud and muck on the unmarked, unmaintained trail that takes you there. 

If you don't like getting your boots dirty, then don't do Street and Nye on a shitty day.

I hadn't planned it that way, but it turned out that the day that I chose to do Street and Nye wouldn't be a banner, blue bird day. It was blustery and slightly overcast with intermittent drizzle. I knew that it would be wet and muddy but just embraced that fact from the get-go. Mud doesn't bother me, nor does a lack of views - that other complaint about Street and Nye. The fun isn't always the destination, it is the trip getting there.
Crossing Indian Brook in Headlamp Light

I set out at 5:30 a.m. and did the first section of the trail around Heart Lake and all the way to the Indian Brook crossing with the light of a headlamp. The brook was at its late summer low levels and the crossing was no problem. The trail from there up to the col between Street and Nye is quite pleasant since you get the sounds of a stream for much of the way. At multiple points, the trail becomes the stream bed and this, I suppose, is part of the reason for its muddy reputation. Although not maintained, the trail is easy to follow if you are paying attention. I repaired a few fallen cairns here and there at the tricky parts. It can be confusing at the brook crossing since there are multiple crossing points and I got off track on the return because of this, but my map and compass quickly fixed the problem.
First views of the day, to the east, from the climb to Street and Nye

At the col, the trail splits in a pleasant break spot marked by a small cairn. I did the longer trek over to Street Mountain first and saved the quick up and back to Nye for last. The trail over to Street is absolutely gorgeous. It was covered in moss and lichen that turned the forest into a sparking green wonderland whenever the sun started to peak through the cloud cover. The wet conditions for which these mountains are known produce a lot of mud and muck, for sure, but it is counterbalanced by the water-loving flora that make this trail so special.
The Trail Split, South to Street, North to Nye

It was a little eerie up top since I was totally along the entire time with the only sounds being the blustery winds whipping through the conifers. I hardly took a break, just hit the peaks, packed up and headed back down. I encountered only six people during my descent and was back to the Loj parking area at 10:30 a.m., for a quick up and back trail time of 5 hours sharp.
Pleasant Forested Summit on Street

My boots were mud encrusted and my pant legs brown and soggy, but I was already planning to make another visit to Street and Nye on a nice weather day. 

It's actually a great hike and deserves better reviews than just "save it for a crappy day."

Peaks: Street and Nye
Elevation: 4,166 and 3,895 feet (2,634 feet Gain)
Distance: 9.1 miles
Route: Out and back
Conditions: Overcast, wind, drizzle, 55 degrees F