Friday, August 16, 2013

Rooster Comb Mountain, August 12, 2013, Adirondack Park

View of Giant Mountain from Rooster Comb Summit
Two days removed from the hike up Giant Mountain and I was still feeling the effects. Not anticipating that I would want to hike, I let myself sleep in until 7 AM - super late by my standards. But while brewing up a morning espresso, I reasoned that this might be the last chance to hike the ADK in the summer season and decided to throw together some gear and hit Rooster Comb Mountain. I wasn't feeling up for a big day; a quick climb up Rooster Comb would allow me to get back with plenty of time to plan a picnic lunch with K.

Starting out at 8 AM sharp, the trail leads over some bridges and past a pleasant wetlands area that would be a boon for birdwatching. I hadn't brought along my binoculars, and instead pressed onward and upward along an ascending track that offers solid footing the whole way. Other than some rock steps early on and a boulder scramble in the final summit push, the trail is mostly well graded over packed dirt with a minimal number of roots and other obstacles. It's neither long in distance nor high in elevation, but offers a pleasant sustained climb.
Self Portrait on Rooster Comb Mountain
I arrived at the summit just past 8 AM. The winds were nothing like I had experienced on Giant two days prior, but I still needed a sweater to be able to tolerate the chill. I hung out for a half hour or so and admired the amazing views into the Giant Mountain Wilderness to the southeast and the High Peaks to the west. After my break, I headed along the ridge spur to the northeastern overlook point that offers great views down into the Keene Valley.

Being a Monday, I passed only a few parties of upward-bound hikers on the descent and arrived back at the trail head around 10:30 AM. Plenty of time for a picnic lunch on the banks of Moose Pond. We hung out there for most of the afternoon, entertained by a noisy loon and (fortunately) some not so noisy kayakers.

Peak: Rooster Comb
Elevation: 2,788 feet (Gain: 1,750)
Distance: Up and Back, 5 miles round trip
Conditions: Partly sunny, 70 degrees F